CI Features

Schools
Ratoath Senior National School
Ratoath Senior National School
Principal Ms. Loraine Butler
Tel 01-8254470
E-Mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Website http://www.ratoathsns.ie/senior


In 2008, the school celebrated the official unveiling of a magnificent statue by Daniel Cullen based on the story of the Salmon of Knowledge.

This is what Daniel said about the piece:

"The chosen theme is the Salmon of Knowledge (Bradán Feasa). The basic form of the piece is inspired by Celtic Standing Stones (Gallan). The figurative elements also derive from this tradition. Finneagas (the upper figure) is depicted as the fisherman astride his catch. Below is the large salmon which encompasses the main body of the piece, and below that the crouched figure of Fionn, sucking his thumb. The piece explores the theme of learning and education through celtic myth. It refers to the noble yet complex relationship between teacher and pupil. It explores the polarity and interplay between discipline / effort and curiosity / accident. And finally, we find within the piece the reference to death (the salmon has to be killed) loss (of innocence and ambition) and regeneration (an ever present theme of education)."
 
Schools in Ratoath

There are four primary schools and one post-primary school in Ratoath Parish.

Ratoath Junior National School
Schools - A History
Ratoath National Schools - Established 1911

A primary school was built at Ratoath in 1911 by Rev. Peter Everard, a gift to the parish from his personal resources. The school was dedicated to him. In 1929-30 the interior of the school was decorated and the exterior renovated. Similar work was carried out in 1949-50. In 1962 a new extension was added. Central heating and toilets were installed and an improved playground was provided. In 1972 a field was purchased for £8,000 from Mr. Halton to accommodate yet another extension, which was completed and opened in 1976. This is the site that now accommodates both Ratoath Junior and Ratoath Senior National School. Due to an increase of school going population another extension was added in 1997. In the year 2000 it was decided that the present school would become Ratoath Junior School catering for 500 pupils from Junior Infants to Second Class inclusive and that a new school Ratoath Senior National School would be built on the same site catering for 500 pupils from Third to Sixth Class inclusive. The new Senior School opened its doors on 1st September 2005 and what was Ratoath National School became the Junior School.

Rathbeggan National School

In 1954 it was decided to erect a new school at Rathbeggan and a site comprising one acre was purchased from Mr. Crean. The contractor was Mr. C. Martin and the school opened in 1961 with 43 pupils. It continued to expand and a prefabricated classroom was added in 1966. By 1970 there were over 70 pupils registered and a new extension was built by Mr. Patrick Donnelly, contractor. Further work was carried out in 1981, including a physical education hall, three large classrooms, a remedial classroom, a staff room and an office. The newly appointed school was reopened on 4th October 1982.

Because of the increase of population, a new primary school (St. Paul’s) started in Jamestown in September 2005.

 
St. Paul's National School
St. Paul's National School
Principal Ms. Morag McGowan
Tel 01-8257246
E-Mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Website http://www.stpaulsratoath.ie/
 
Rathbeggan National School
Rathbeggan National School
Principal Mr. Kieran Rushe
Tel 01-8259891
E-Mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

In 1954 it was decided to erect a new school at Rathbeggan and a site comprising one acre was purchased from Mr. Crean. The contractor was Mr. C. Martin and the school opened in 1961 with 43 pupils. It continued to expand and a prefabricated classroom was added in 1966. By 1970 there were over 70 pupils registered and a new extension was built by Mr. Patrick Donnelly, contractor. Further work was carried out in 1981, including a physical education hall, three large classrooms, a remedial classroom, a staff room and an office. The newly appointed school was reopened on 4th October 1982.

 
Ratoath College
Principal Ms. Oonagh Prendergast
Tel 01-8254102
E-Mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Website http://community.meath.ie/ratoathcollege/

Mission Statement

Ratoath College is committed to

  • Promoting growth and learning in an atmosphere of inclusiveness and mutual respect
  • Encouraging individuality while in pursuit of excellence
  • Fostering a sense of pride in our school and our community
“Mol an Óige agus tiocfaidh sí”

Founded in September 2005, Ratoath College endeavours to provide an education for all its students, that is one which has as its aim the development of all aspects of the individual – aesthetic, creative, critical, cultural, emotional, intellectual, moral, physical, political, religious, social and spiritual development, for personal and family life, for working-life, for living in the community and for leisure.

In September 2008 the school will have a population of over 460 pupils, a staff of approx. 50 comprising of 37 teachers, 7 SNA’s, two secretaries, a caretaker and 2 ancillary staff members. The school is now located in a state of the art building in Jamestown having moved there from its temporary home in Fairyhouse in August 2007.

The school aims to provide the best possible education service to all the students entrusted to our care. Working together, the Board, parents, staff and students, aim to continue to provide the excellent service which has been established and to improve the overall quality, so that our students benefit from the support and expertise available to them.

 
Ratoath Junior National School
Ratoath Junior National School
Principal Ms. Miriam Fox
Tel 01-8256639
E-Mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Website http://www.ratoathns.com/junior

In 1884 Catherine Keogh, wife of John Keogh, a distinguished member of the Catholic Relief Committee, gave a site for a school in Ratoath. this is the site of the present school. An additional half acre was acquired in 1956. The present field was bought in 1977/78.

The original building had two classrooms and cost £370 to build. This building was replaced in 1911.

In 1963 the building was extended when a further two classrooms were added to the school. The School was names after Fr. Everard in recognition of his generosity as he build the 1911 school out of his own personal funds.

the school was further extended in 1977/78 when two classrooms and a GP room were built. One year later the GP room was converted into a classroom.

Another extension comprising 6 classrooms and a new GP room was built in 1996/97.

Ratoath Junior National School came into being on 1st September 2005 when Ratoath Mixed National School split into Junior and Senior Schools.

The school is situated on the Fairyhouse Road Just outside the village of Ratoath.

The population of Ratoath has expanded rapidly over the last 10 years and this necessitated the split into Junior and Senior schools with the Junior School remaining in the old building and the Senior School moving into a new Building on the same site.

In the Summer of 2010 Ratoath Junior School got 10 new classrooms and the oldest part of the building was refurbished. This means that we have 20 classrooms and an enrolment of 500 pupils approximately.

At the present there are 27 Teachers, 7 SNAs, a caretaker and secretary in the school.

 


CI News

© 2004-2017 Ratoath Parish - Designed and developed by GetOnline